Skip to main content

Resident Handbook

Welcome to your new home

We are delighted that you have chosen to reside with us as you begin a new year at West Virginia University. We have excellent facilities and hope to make your experience a positive one. We prepared this handbook as a quick reference guide to the unique community that was created for you. Please take a few minutes to become familiar with our services and procedures. This handbook has been designed to answer your questions about living in University Apartments. 

If you have additional questions, please feel free to stop by the Clubhouse during business hours, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Saturdays 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Sunday Noon to 4:00 p.m. We hope moving in will be pleasant and stress-free. Your neighbors and University Apartment Management & staff are all looking forward to meeting you and working with you, and we hope that the coming months will be rich with wonderful discoveries, experiences, and new friends.

Download a copy of the 2022-2023 College Park resident handbook



The Management and Leasing Office is located in the Clubhouse and is the center of our management and leasing operations. Stop by the office or call 304.293.5840 to get information about your lease, rental account, facilities issues, or any other questions you may have about University Apartments. 

The Clubhouse is also a great resource for questions about the campus, the area, contacting our staff, and other general information. During holidays, summer, and school break periods of the year, hours may be limited. The Clubhouse also provides the following services:

Clubhouse Amenities 

The clubhouse offers many amenities for the residents of College Park to use free of charge. Some amenities do require you to make reservations in advance, and can be done by visiting the Clubhouse during regular office hours. The following amenities are only available during Clubhouse hours, and special select dates as announced by Management:

  • Study Lounge
  • Gaming Area
  • Lounge 
  • Outdoor pavilion and grill

College Park also offers a state of the art fitness center, which can be accessed 24 hours – 7 days a week, by using your apartment key fob. *when the facilities are open.

Other services:


If you are locked out of either your unit or bedroom, please visit the Clubhouse for assistance during operating hours. If the lockout occurs after hours, please call 304.293.3136 . Please note you will be connected with University Police Department (UPD) to assist you.

  • If you are locked out during business hours, you will not be charged. However, if lockout requests become frequent, a charge may be assessed of $25.00.
  • If you are locked out after business hours, the resident’s account will be charged $25.00.
  • If you lose your WVU ID, which provides access to the building, please contact the WVU IT Service Desk at 304.293.4444 or Mountaineer Card Services.
  • If you lose the apartment, bedroom, or mailbox key, a replacement key maybe requested by submitting a work order through Below are replacement fees for the keys:
  • Unit key fob - $100.00
  • Bedroom key - $25.00
  • Mailbox key - $25.00

Once a key replacement has been requested, resident assumes full responsibility of replacement costs, regardless if missing keys are located prior to receive the replacement key.

All charges listed above will be charged to your student account, and are due without any additional notice immediately after the replacement request or core change request is completed.


Rental payments are due and payable on or before the first (1st) day of each month. Payment can be made through WVU MyAccounnt with a credit card or check. International students can also send international payments in your home currency through Flywire.

To pay online using your credit/debit card or ACH from your bank account (electronic check):

  • Log in to your WVU Portal with your WVU username and password
  • Click on the "PAY YOUR BILL HERE!" button to access WVU MyAccount
  • Students who have a University Apartment-related charge should see a blue box in the middle of the home screen with a dropdown menu. Use this drop-down to select to pay a specific charge and click "Go!" to begin the payment process.

Need help on accessing WVU MyAccount and making payments?

Check out payment tutorials


  • There is a 2.25% processing fee that will be assessed on all credit/debit card transactions. There are no charges for an electronic check/ACH transaction. Instead of using a debit card, you may want to consider processing an electronic check/ACH transaction.
  • If payment is not received by the deadline, you may be subject to monthly late fees and being referred to a collection agency.
  • Any rent not paid when due will be reasonable grounds for non-renewal of your lease.


  • If we receive a returned check for non-sufficient funds (NSF) from your bank, you are required to repay the amount of the check and all additional charges that maybe assessed.
  • All returned checks are charged a twenty-five dollar ($25.00) returned check fee, in addition to WVU’s late fee policy.
  • After two (2) NSF checks, WVU will no longer accept personal checks from you; only certified checks or money orders will be accepted.


Any security deposit paid at the signing of your lease is held by WVU until your lease expires or is terminated. Upon vacating the unit, Management will inspect your unit and cross-reference your move-in condition form completed at the beginning of your lease term. 

Within 45 days of your lease expiration, WVU will return any remaining security deposit, along with a written itemization of the charges. If your security deposit is not sufficient to cover the cleaning and damage costs, the invoiced amount must be paid immediately.

If you breach your lease agreement, WVU reserves the right to apply your security deposit to any damages it suffers as a result of such noncompliance. Refer to your lease for further details.


Your lease term is further defined in your lease. Should you desire a copy of your lease, please stop by our Leasing Office. 

Withdrawing from WVU does NOT void your Lease Agreement with University Apartments, and you will be responsible to continue residency per the Lease.


This is also known as: subleasing, re-letting, or assignment.

You shall not re-let your unit without prior written permission from Management. In order to proceed, you must submit your request on the form provided by Management. Written approval will not be given until you pay $200, the new Resident is approved, signs all applicable documents, and pays a security deposit. Prior to beginning this process, the balance on your student account must be current and in good standing.

You must vacate your unit prior to midnight on the date set with Management. You must remove all your belongings. Any items left in the unit will be removed at your expense. You are personally responsible for returning all keys to Management on the checkout date. Management will not accept keys from anyone other than you as a means of checking out; including a roommate, a relative, a friend, your re-lessor, or leaving them in the unit. If your keys are not returned at the time of checkout, you will be charged for the core changes of each key not returned. Upon vacating, you must clean the unit and follow the move out terms set forth in the lease agreement. Your security deposit will be returned within the timeframes provided in the lease.

Failure to check-in/out with office is subject to a $100 improper check in/out fee . Furthermore, current residents who do not properly check their keys into a staff member at the office are subject to a $150 core replacement fee in addition to a $25 per key replacement fee. Only legal leaseholders will be permitted to sign out the replacement keys in such circumstances.

Additional information in searching for a qualified sublessee can be found by visiting WVU’s Campus & Community Life


Illegally re-leasing a University Apartment unit to an unapproved individual is strictly prohibited. If a person is found illegally residing in your unit, Management will take the necessary steps to remove the illegal Occupant. The leaseholder will be held liable for all rental payments and damages incurred, including a $200 administrative charge.

To avoid incurring these charges and judicial sanctions, and to preserve the security of our community, it is imperative that all residents use the re-leasing process to re-assign their leases to new applicants.

Selling and/or advertising accommodations on social media/internet sites such as Airbnb, Craigslist, and other similar sites is strictly prohibited.


If you desire to relocate from one unit or bedroom, to another, the move must be approved in writing by Management and must adhere to the following procedures:

  1. The unit currently occupied must be checked by Management prior to approval.
  2. The unit currently occupied must be cleaned and in an acceptable condition, as determined by Management, before the transfer will be granted.
  3. Approval for transfer will be given based on (1 & 2) and if a suitable unit is available with the Resident requesting the transfer is in good financial standing with the WVU Student Accounts.
  4. All conditions set forth in the checkout procedures must be met; a new Lease must be signed.
  5. A transfer fee of $200.00 dollars must be paid by the Resident(s) requesting the transfer.
  6. Any cleaning or maintenance charges not considered normal wear, involving the transferring apartment will be assessed in addition to the transfer fee.


In addition to being eligible to live in University Apartments when you apply, it is your responsibility to maintain eligibility throughout your stay. If you do not maintain your affiliation with West Virginia University, your lease may be terminated and all unpaid monthly installments become immediately due as liquidated damages. Examples of situations that may fit this category include, but are not limited to:

  • Expulsion/Suspension for violation of Student Code of Conduct

Withdrawing from WVU does NOT void your Lease Agreement with University Apartments, and you will be responsible to continue residency per the Lease.

Please note, submitting your keys to the Office does not end your lease. You will continue to be financially responsible for your lease.


After vacating your occupied unit and notifying Management of your intention to cease occupancy, your Lease may be terminated at the conclusion of three (3) full months. This 3-month time frame will commence on the 1st day of the month after you have vacated and no longer enrolled and/or affiliated with West Virginia University. You will be responsible for three additional months of rental payments for your unit.

If you have any questions regarding the above, please reach out your Property Manager to discuss.


University Apartments makes every effort to accommodate special needs, and medical requests. We work directly with the Office of Accessibility Services to provide assistance and/or accommodations based on your medical need or request. All requests should be directed to OAS. Further information 7 can be obtained on Accessibility Services or by contacting them at 304.293.6700.


As University Apartments is an affiliation of WVU, we fully acknowledge and adhere to our resident’s privacy under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Further information regarding FERPA can be viewed at Please visit the office for further details in granting proxy permissions with us. 


It is the responsibility of each resident to arrange a check-out appointment with Management, if desired. The appointment should be scheduled at least three (3) days prior to checkout. Checkout is not considered complete until all keys have been returned. If you fail to return all keys issued to you within two (2) working days of the vacating date, lock changes will be initiated and you will be charged all appropriate fees.

When you are ready to move out of University Apartments, you are required to leave the unit in the same condition as it was at the time of initial occupancy, barring normal wear and tear. The unit must be free of all personal possessions and the woodwork, walls, windows, furniture, cabinets, closets, plumbing fixtures, appliances and floors must be clean. Any damages and/or cleaning necessary in the unit will be your financial responsibility.

Residents staying beyond the Lease end date will be assessed a daily rate. The daily rate is calculated by the monthly rent divided by thirty, multiplied by three.


Bicycle racks are located outside of buildings throughout the community. Our bicycle racks are reserved for residents only. All bicycles must be parked at these locations only, and will not be permitted to park at any other areas throughout the Community. It is strongly recommended you secure your own bike, as Management will not be responsible for any stolen or damaged bicycles.

Bicycles may not be parked against trees, railings, signs, or any area other than the bicycle racks provided. Bicycles are also not permitted in the buildings, except to access the storage area. All illegally parked bicycles will be removed from the community on a regular basis.


Mailboxes are located to the left of the Clubhouse. Each unit has one mailbox; therefore, do not include your bedroom letter in your address, only the unit number and building address as stated below. Please make sure your friends, family, and associates know your correct building address – improperly addressed mail is considered misdirected and may not be delivered. Packages are received at the Clubhouse, and must be signed out by the Resident. Packages not picked up within a two-week period will be returned to sender. University Apartments will not be responsible for any packages delivered, including perishable items such as flowers and food.

The United States Postal Service (USPS) will serve University Apartments. Thus, mail to or from campus will require postage in order to be delivered. Management has no access or control regarding the mailboxes. Any issues must be reported directly to USPS at 304.291.1037.


Upon commencement of your lease, the Clubhouse will accept packages on your behalf. You will be alerted through your MIX account when packages are delivered for you. Please attempt to pick them up within 72 hours. Any package not claimed within a two-week period will be returned to sender. When you pick up your package, please be sure to have your WVU ID ready for the package to be released.

Please ensure packages have your name and unit/apartment number clearly marked with the correct address as below:

  • Your Name 
    XX Newton Avenue 
    Apartment XXX-X 
    Morgantown, WV 26505

We recommend that you file a change of address with the USPS post office when you move-in/out of your apartment so to minimize the interruption of your mail service. If your mailbox is not cleared on a regular basis, mail will be pulled and returned to sender. Management is not responsible for holding mail during your absence.


Cable television services will be provided by College Cable Service. A coax cable is required to connect your television to the wall jack, thus, a cable box is not required.  Most televisions older than 2007 may not be compatible with our cable service. A channel listing is available from the Leasing Office should you have misplaced it from your move-in packet. Should you require technical service regarding your reception, please contact College Cable Services directly at 888.467.9004.


There are designated internet jacks throughout the rooms/buildings, in addition to available Wi-Fi throughout the property. If you require technical service regarding your access, please contact WVU IT Service Desk at 304.293.4444 .


Shuttle service is provided for residents of College Park only. Service runs to and from the Mountain lair every half-hour, during the Fall and Spring semesters, Monday thru Friday. No services will be provided during school holidays and breaks. Updated shuttle operating times can be obtained from the office. Although we strive to keep the shuttle operating consistently, traffic, weather, staffing, and mechanical problems can impact the operating times.

During inclement weather, it is the driver’s discretion to cancel shuttle service for everyone’s safety. Service will resume once conditions are safe.

For the safety of all passengers and drivers, intoxicated passengers will be refused.  Disruptive and offensive behavior will not be tolerated, resulting in ridership privileges be revoked by management.


Residents of University Apartments are considered on-campus residents for obtaining on-campus parking privileges. Parking at College Park is limited and on a first-come, first serve basis. Please contact the Leasing Office for details on how to obtain a parking permit. Fire lanes are not a legal parking zone and therefore subject to towing at the owners’ expense. Handicap parking spots are strictly for vehicles that clearly display the handicap signage.


Excessive noise is not permitted and courtesy hours are always in effect. Loud parties or activities that will in any manner disturb, annoy, or cause discomfort to other residents is not permitted. Residents are held responsible for the conduct of their guests at all times.  We encourage our residents to use the LifeSafe app if they have a noise complaint with a neighbor, see something suspicious, or need to report anything to the authorities. Please do not try and handle the situation yourself--use the app!  Accordingly, the following shall apply to complaints concerning a resident and/or guest’s violation of this rule:

  • First complaint—A written warning will be issued.
  • Second complaint—A $100 fine will be assessed to your account.
  • Third complaint—Additional fines may be assessed and eviction proceedings may be filed at the discretion of the Apartment Manager.


Parties are NOT permitted. Whether in units, bedrooms, or any building common area, social gatherings must not:

  1. Consist of more than one (1) guests per person/per unit,
  2. Become too large for you to exercise responsible control over the behavior of you and guests,
  3. Expand beyond the boundaries of the unit, or building common area, or
  4. Be advertised in any way.


Both direct and indirect forms of verbal and written abuse, threats, coercion, physical or verbal harassment, intimidation, violence against another person or their property, or causing the apprehension of physical or verbal harm are prohibited and will not be tolerated. Conduct that threatens the health and safety of any person (including yourself) may result in fines and possible eviction, and/or criminal action. You are responsible for reporting abuse to appropriate authorities. At all times, you and your guests are expected to conduct yourselves in accordance with the rules contained in this Handbook. 

Any claims for discrimination, harassment, sexual and domestic misconduct, stalking, and/or retaliation should be reported to West Virginia University’s Title IX Coordinator in the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at 304-293-5600.


Pets or any animals are prohibited from being brought onto any University Apartment property by any Resident and/or guest, unless the pet has been pre-approved and registered with Management. Pet prohibitions apply to all mammals, birds, reptiles, and insects. Fish are allowed with the maximum tank size of 10 gallons. In the event of a violation of this rule, a $200 fine will be assessed to your account. University Apartments, at its discretion, may also file an eviction proceeding for a pet violation at any time.

Pets must be removed from the premises immediately. Any subsequent violation will result in additional fines and eviction from the premises.


Non-Residents (including family) may not use the premises if you are on vacation, not present, or for any other reason, unless accompanied by you. You are responsible for the conduct of your guests, including payment for any damages caused by your guests’ behavior.

Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times while on property.

Overnight guests may stay no longer than 3 consecutive nights, and a total of 5 nights in a 90-day period. It is courteous and advisable to discuss potential overnight guests with your roommate before inviting guests.


Residents and guests shall abide by the West Virginia University Student Code of Conduct and all local, state, and federal laws regarding alcohol and illegal drugs. The possession, sale, distribution, or provision of any illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia is strictly prohibited. Violations of this policy may result in administrative action by the University, criminal charges, and/or eviction from the unit. If your unit is within 1,000 feet of a school, you may face enhanced penalties, including felony charges.


The use of tobacco products in any form is not permitted on University properties and adjacent properties (Board of Governors Policy 57—Tobacco-Free Campus). Students who leave cigarette butts, or other tobacco products or parts of those products (i.e., chewing tobacco waste, etc.) will be charged with littering. The possession and use of hookahs are not permitted in the apartments. Additionally, the use of electronic smoking devices (i.e., electronic cigarettes, vaporizers, heat liquids, etc.) is not permitted on apartment property. Use of any form of tobacco products, including, vaping, in or around the facility, and WVU Campus is prohibited. Violation of this policy will incur a fee of $250 for first offense, and $500 for second offense. You may also risk eviction for not following this policy.


Door-to-door solicitors are not permitted. Please contact Management if a solicitor approaches you.


Gambling is prohibited.


You are prohibited from placing any signage or decorations on the exterior of the buildings, doors, or visible in windows.


Balconies should be kept clean and orderly at all times, with outdoor furniture only. Flags, flag poles, BBQ grills, lights, streamers, privacy screens, excessive potted plants and other decorations are prohibited. Nothing is allowed to be affixed to the spindles of the balconies and/or patios.

It is a violation to place indoor furniture, trash, coolers, etc. on the balcony for any given time, and may be assessed a fine of $25.00.

As College Park is located on the WVU Campus, use of any tobacco products is strictly prohibited.


All residents of each unit are liable and accountable for all damages to the common area in their unit resulting from negligence and/or misuse. Unless otherwise arranged by the residents, cost of repairs will be split evenly among all residents. Additionally, residents are responsible for any damage to the common areas of University Apartments caused by themselves and/or their guests.

The driveways, sidewalks, courtyards, entry passages, stairs and halls shall not be obstructed or used for any purpose other than ingress and egress. Bicycles and similar vehicles shall not be allowed to obstruct the common areas. Hallways, walkways and lounges are not to be used as grounds for sporting events, wrestling, horseplay or riding bicycles and skateboards.


Residents are not permitted to use any vacant bedrooms within an apartment, even if it was left unlocked by mistake. Vacant bedrooms are owned by College Park until rented.  If a resident is found to have used a vacant space, all the residents will be charged the rent for the vacant space and additionally, any cleaning/repair costs.


Tampering with or misuse of fire alarm systems, smoke detectors, firefighting equipment and building security systems is extremely dangerous, illegal and prohibited. Violators will be prosecuted. If convicted a penalty could include both a fine and a prison sentence. A resident(s) engaging in such activity is also subject to immediate removal from the unit and suspension from the University.


Possession or use of firearms, weapons (BB guns included), fireworks, gasoline, flammable liquids, explosives, volatile chemicals or other materials that endanger the health, safety, and welfare of human/animal life is prohibited in or around University Apartment property.


Should you have a conflict with your roommates or other residents that you are unable to resolve through discussion, please contact the Property Manager for mediation options. If there are issues that need police involvement such as safety concerns, property theft, etc., please contact UPD at 304-293-2677 . If you are requesting to be transferred as a result of roommate conflict, please refer to the transfer policy.


As members of the global, campus, and University Apartments community, we all have an obligation to conserve resources such as energy and water. Conservation will help minimize increases in rent costs due to utility usage, so keep the following tips in mind throughout your University Apartments experience. Additionally, do not forget that recycling is available.


  • Turn off all lights when you leave a room.
  • Do not run water longer than necessary.
  • Turn off all appliances when not in use.
  • Turn off the television and stereo when you are not at home.
  • Report leaks, toilet issues, and nonfunctioning windows immediately.
  • In fall and winter, leave the thermostat at 72 degrees or less. Lower the thermostat to 70 degrees at night. Close the blinds in the evening and open them in the morning to admit sunlight and warmth through the windows.
  • In spring and summer, leave the thermostat at 74 degrees or higher. Close the blinds in the morning to reduce heat from the sunlight and open the blinds in the evening.
  • If you leave your apartment for more than three days, set the thermostat to 85 degrees in the summer and 68 degrees in the winter.
  • Close all windows and doors when the heat or air conditioning systems are in use.
  • Schedule your loads of laundry and dishes to allow you to run the washing machine and dishwasher with full loads every time.
  • Do not block air vents with furniture or other items.


Each resident will receive a $20 electric allowance each month. If the unit electric usage is over the allotted allowance, the overage will be split equally amongst the residents in the unit. Notifications of any overages will be sent monthly to your MIX email. If you have any questions regarding electric allowance or overage, please contact the Leasing Office.

During winter months, the unit’s thermostat must not be turned off, or lowered below 65 degrees, regardless if the unit will be vacant for school breaks and holidays. Failure to comply will result in a $100.00 fee. Residents will be fully responsible for any damage caused by failure to maintain proper heat temperature in unit.


Part of West Virginia University’s institutional commitment to sustainability includes instituting recycling on WVU and WVU-affiliated properties. University Apartments is equipped with a trash containers throughout the properties — one for recycling and one for trash. Below is a guide of recyclable and non-recyclable items.

Single Stream Recycling
Recyclable Please DO NOT put these items in recycling bins:
  • Cardboard (corrugated and non-corrugated)
  • Drink Cartons
  • Glass (clear, green, and brown)
  • Metal (aluminum and steel cans)
  • Paper (office paper, newspapers, shredded paper (bagged), and glossy magazines)
  • Plastics (#1-#7 plastic containers and bottles)
  • Regular Bagged Trash
  • Food and Liquid Waste
  • Paper Towels and Napkins
  • Plastic Bags
  • Styrofoam

A few additional things to keep in mind are:

  1. Keep the trash room on your floor clean and clean up any spills.
  2. All items being placed in the container should be placed in appropriate bags/trash liners.
  3. Please flatten all cardboard. This will help keep the container open for everyone and keep containers from overfilling.
  4. Do NOT place trash in the hallways, stairwells or on balconies. Do NOT place trash in pet waste disposals or beside dumpsters. Not properly disposing of your trash could result in a fine that will start at $25 per bag or item of trash.


Work orders allow you to request a maintenance technician to repair a problem in your unit, bedroom, or community. All residents can access the online work order system through their student portal available at Facilities Service Desk Portal

When filling out a work order, please be as detailed as possible. For example, “Dryer is not heating” is much more informative than “Dryer broken.” This kind of specific information will allow the maintenance technician to diagnose the problem and complete your repair much more quickly. 

If you have questions or concerns about your work order, please feel free to contact the Clubhouse at 304.293.5840 .


Occasionally, a preventive maintenance technician will post a notice to enter your unit in order to perform preventive maintenance on the unit systems. Their preventive maintenance checklist includes tasks such as changing the air filter in the HVAC system, checking the water temperatures of the bathtubs, checking airflow temperatures from the vents, checking the plumbing for leaks, and cleaning the HVAC coil. When you receive this notice, please make sure that all of these areas are accessible for the technician.

University Apartments also provides a preventive maintenance pest control program. It is very important that the unit be clean at the time of this service, so plan to clean the unit when you receive the notice of entry. The treatment consists of fast-drying gel bait; no sprays will be used for the preventive treatment.


We have collected the most frequently asked facilities questions for your reference. This information will help you set up your unit and maintain it throughout the year.

Issue Solution

How do I report something that

needs repaired?

Please send all requests through the Facilities Service Desk portal.

How long will it take to address my request?

For routine or non-emergency work requests, three to five days.

How will I know if my request

has been completed?

You will receive a system-generated email when your work order is closed.

What is considered a maintenance emergency?

A maintenance emergency is defined as a problem that if not resolved quickly will jeopardize the health and safety of the building and residents. An emergency is further defined in a situation that will result in damage to the building, property, or when basic life needs are not provided for.

Situations that would be considered emergencies are:

  • ALL toilets in unit are clogged; not just your toilet, ALL toilets
  • Heating doesn’t work and temperature outside is under 45 degrees
  • Air conditioning doesn’t work and temperature outside is OVER 95 degrees
  • Unit door will not lock. This does not include the bedroom door.
  • No electricity in the entire unit
  • Flooding
  • Refrigerator/freezer is not cooling food to safe temperatures
  • Broken window (both panes)
  • Inoperable smoke detector
  • Fire

What is NOT considered a maintenance emergency, but should be corrected as soon as possible, within 24 hours?

  • Clogged toilet in a unit where another toilet works
  • No hot water
  • Clogged garbage disposal
  • Stove doesn’t work
  • Heating doesn’t work and temperature outside is over 45 degrees
  • Air conditioning doesn’t work and temperature outside is under 95 degrees
  • Bedroom door won’t lock
  • Clogged shower
  • Electricity out for one or two items
  • Washer/Dryer doesn’t work (in units equipped with washer/dryer)
  • Smoke detector low battery indicator is sounding

What if I have a maintenance emergency after-hours?

Call the HELP line at 304-293-HELP (4357) . Calls are answered by UPD and will be transferred according to the emergency.

Life threatening emergencies should be directed to 911

What do I do if I lose power to my unit?

What do I do if I lose power at specific outlets only?


  • Determine if there is a citywide power outage by looking out your window for streetlights. If there is no power, power will be restored once local Electric Company can resolve issue.
  • If the power is out in a specific area of your unit, you should find the breaker box, which is contained in a metal panel located in your hallway. 
  • There are breakers (switches) in the breaker box. Each breaker should be facing the same direction. A tripped breaker will sit between off and on. Locate the breaker that matches the specific area where the power outage exists (e.g. the bathroom or kitchen) and flip that breaker off and then on. 
  • When power is restored, all of the breakers should be facing the same direction. You should also make sure that you are not placing excessive equipment on the circuit or else the breaker might continue to trip, causing loss of power. For example, if you have lost power to the kitchen area and you reset the breaker, but it trips again, check to see what is plugged into the kitchen outlets. 
  • If you have a bread machine, a toaster, a mixer, and a microwave all on the same circuit you might be creating an overload condition. In this case unplug one or two of the items and then try resetting the breaker. If the power remains out, and the breaker will not reset,
  • Submit a work order.

Bedroom, Bathroom or Kitchen outlet:

  • These rooms have special safety outlets called “GFI Outlets.” GFI outlets have two buttons: a test button and a reset button. Simply push the reset button to restore power.
  • If the outlet still does not reset check the breaker box to see if that breaker has tripped. Each breaker should be facing the same direction. A tripped breaker will sit between off and on. Flip that breaker off and then on. If the outlet still does not work
  • Submit a work order

Dishwasher – I used regular dish soap and it is now foaming everywhere?

If this happens, you have either used regular hand dishwashing soap in the dishwasher, or used too much dishwasher detergent. You MUST use dishwasher detergent, and follow the manufacturer’s suggested usage amounts. If you have used a non-dishwasher product, open the door and keep it open for about 2 hours to allow the bubbles to evaporate. Pour a cup of cooking oil into the tub and run the “RINSE” cycle. You may have to repeat this two or three time until the foam disappears.

What do I do if my toilet is clogged?

  • Attempt to plunge it. Management recommends purchasing a plunger for each unit.
  • If water is overflowing – turn off water (There is a valve located on the underside of the toilet). Every effort must be taken to mop up excess water.
  • Place a work order.

How can I hang pictures/posters on my wall?

  • We highly recommend using Duck Mounting Putty in hanging posters and such on walls and doors. Small tacks and/or picture hanger hooks maybe used.

Excessive wall damage by Command strips, large screws/nails, may result in damage to the walls, with damage costs charged to you.

Are there changes I am not allowed to make?

Major improvements, alterations, or damages to unit or the building cannot be made for the sole convenience of the occupants. Below are some, but not all, examples:

  • Installation of appliances or other major items that are not standard or provided.
  • Relocating the washer and/or dryer when they are already installed. -- Installation of hobby equipment, a pottery wheel, for example, and related hardware.
  • Installation of bars, room dividers, built-in-bookshelves/cases, etc.
  • Removal or disablement of any installed system equipment, such as heating units, plumbing, locking, and security devices. Also tampering with fire alarms and fire extinguishers are prohibited.

What does the fire alarm sound like, and what should I do if I hear it?

  • Smoke detectors within your unit will not trigger the building alarm system.
  • DO NOT open your unit door in airing out false-alarm smoke – this will alarm the building fire system. Fire Alarm will sound if smoke is detected in the hallways. The alarm will be loud “honk” type of sound, and strobe lights will flash throughout the building. You should calmly exit the building immediately.
  • DO NOT use the elevators.
  • Once outside the building, walk to the rear of the complex and walk towards Summit Hall (Towards campus). The fire department will clear the building, and determine if it is safe to return.

How should I hang pictures on the wall?

However you hang pictures, the goal is to minimize the damage to the walls. The best things that we have found for this purpose are tacks, or picture hanger hooks.  Do not use screws, nails (except finish nails), command strips, or tape of any kind!

Why can’t I hang anything from or near the sprinklers? 

The sprinklers are extremely sensitive and may go off if jostled, or tampered with. If this happens, your unit will flood within seconds! So be respectful of this equipment. 

What should I do if my unit has a pest control problem? 

The first thing you should do is clean your unit, as pests usually result from unsanitary conditions, such as improperly stored food, or organic residue in your garbage can. If the problem persists, submit a work order so that our maintenance staff may evaluate the problem. The maintenance staff will have our pest control company treat your unit on their next visit. If possible, capture a sample of the pest, so that our pest control vendor may accurately identify the species and treat accordingly. 

Will the maintenance staff change light bulbs for me? 

The maintenance staff does not provide lightbulbs for residents. If you are having trouble changing one, put a work order in and a maintenance tech will be up to assist with this, pending the lightbulb is left out for them to use. 

What should I do if my air conditioning stops working? 

If your A/C stops working, please check to be sure that the HVAC closet louvered door is not blocked. The air handler in your unit needs an air source in order to circulate the conditioned air within your unit. If this does not resolve the issue, call the Clubhouse to determine whether there is a building-wide outage. If not, please submit a work order.

Why does my water need time to warm up? 

The hot water circulation system for these buildings is very large. Therefore, if there is not a lot of usage to keep the hot water circulating, it can take some time to pull the hot water to your unit. If you find that this is an issue, just let the shower run for a few minutes.

What would happen if someone damages the furniture or flooring in the unit?

If damage to the common area furniture/flooring is brought to our attention or noted during an inspection, it would result in an evenly split fee among the roommates in the unit, unless someone admits full responsibility. Please take care of your furniture/flooring by not allowing roommates to smoke, bring in bikes, or use hookahs in the unit.

What can I do to ensure that I do not receive damage/cleaning charges?

There are several steps that you can take to ensure your unit is in good condition at the end of your lease:

  • Clean your unit at least once a week. Pay special attention to vacuuming the carpets, cleaning the toilets, bathtubs, sinks, tile floors, oven, stovetop, drip pans, microwave, refrigerator, and countertops. It is wise to set up a cleaning rotation between all roommates to ensure a clean unit at check-out.
  • Keep your walls in good condition: hang only one or two pictures per wall using the methods recommended above, do not place furniture directly against the walls.
  • Put a mattress pad or mattress cover on your mattress to protect it from stains.
  • Do not install additional items such as shelves, hooks, over-the-door hooks.
  • Vacuum regularly.
  • Follow the instructions in your move-out letter to prepare your unit for move-out. Be sure to coordinate your move-out preparation with your roommates, since common area issues are billed to all residents of the unit.


At move-in, each resident was given a Unit Condition Sheet during receipt of keys. This form shall be completed and returned to the Leasing Office immediately, and is designed for the protection of the resident. If assistance is needed in completing the sheet, please contact the Leasing Office at 304.293.5840 . Failure to complete and return the Unit Condition Sheet within 72 hours after moving in will imply you have accepted the unit as-is.


Although we hope emergencies will not happen, it is best to be prepared. University Apartment staff will do their best to help you, but you need to do your part as well. Follow the three steps below and you will be ready!


The University Police Department provides patrol and response services to the University Apartment communities. WVU is now live with an app known as LiveSafe. This app can be downloaded on your Apple and Android mobile devices free. We strongly recommend and encourage our residents, and parents, to download this app to assist WVU maintaining a safe environment. If an emergency arises, please contact the WVU Police at 304.293.2677 or dial 911


Living on campus does not exempt you from possible threats to your personal safety. Thus, please use the following precautionary measures to minimize existing dangers and hazards in the environment, and by using the mobile app LiveSafe.


  • Do not walk or bike alone after dark; walk with friends or in a group. Utilize the LiveSafe app.
  • Walk in well-lit and well-traveled areas. 19
  • Constantly be aware of your surroundings.
  • Be wary of persons you do not know, or appear to be acting strange.
  • Report suspicious persons or activity to the police.
  • Stay away from relatively isolated areas.
  • Plan what you will do if confronted by a potential assailant (run, scream, fight, try to gain his/her confidence while waiting for safe escape opportunity).
  • Have a cell phone readily available.
  • Have a friend or family member know your whereabouts.


  • Keep your unit and bedroom door locked at all times, even if you or one of your roommates is home.
  • Carry your keys with you at all times, and do not mark your keys with your unit number.
  • Make sure doors close and latch behind you.
  • Confront persons you do not know; if you cannot confront, report suspicious persons to the police and to your Clubhouse.
  • Report damaged or malfunctioning doors, locks, etc. to the Clubhouse.
  • Report “salespeople” or “solicitors” to your Clubhouse; they don’t belong in the building
  • Escort your guests at all times.
  • Do not prop doors open.
  • Do not allow people to enter the building behind you, even if you think they may be a resident. This kind of “tailgating” is how criminals may gain entry to buildings. Your neighbors will understand and appreciate your caution.
  • Use your peephole to determine who is knocking at your door.
  • Get to know your neighbors and watch out for one another. If you see or hear anything suspicious, or witness any illegal activity, notify the police immediately.


You should have a few emergency supplies stashed away in case of an emergency. Ideally, you should have two kits, one in your unit and the other in your automobile. These kits should include: water & food (non-perishable), can-opener, first aid supplies, flashlight/batteries, battery-powered AM/FM radio, and medication or any other special item you cannot do without.

If you are evacuated to a campus emergency location, you’ll only be able to bring one piece of baggage, so be sure that you have the following supplies accessible to be quickly packed at all times: clothing, pillow/blanket, towel & soap, toothbrush/toothpaste, shower shoes, medicine, flashlight, padlock, phone card, snacks, something to do (books, games, etc.).


If an emergency occurs, you want to know what your resources are, and have a plan ready. Keep the following issues in mind when drafting your personal emergency plan:

  • If you had to evacuate campus for a few days, where would you go in the local area? 20
  • Do you have an out-of-state contact to help you communicate with your family members? It may be easier to make a long-distance phone call than to call across town if local circuits are busy.
  • Will our staff be able to contact you with updates about the situation? Make sure you keep your emergency contact information up-to-date with the Management Office.

Be Informed…


  • Only use power strips with a UL seal and that are not frayed or worn.
  • Limit the number of appliances that are plugged in or in use at one time.
  • Do not use or possess fireworks, lighted candles, flammable fuels, or space heaters.
  • Do not use or possess torchiere halogen lamps or halogen bulbs.
  • Do not smoke or allow others to smoke in your room or anywhere in the building. WVU and University Apartments are tobacco free.
  • Do not tamper with smoke detectors, sprinklers, or other life safety equipment.
  • Do not allow anything or anyone to touch sprinklers.


If the fire alarms sound, you must evacuate the building immediately. Exit your unit and go to the nearest stairwell – do not use the elevator if the alarms are sounding! Go down to the first floor, exit the building, and proceed to the assembly point listed in below. Remain at the assembly point until an official member authorizes you to re-enter the building or directs you to another location.


The sidewalk along Yoke Street has been designated as the assembly area should the building fire alarm system sound. Please proceed to this area and wait for further instructions from an emergency official.


Your unit and building hallways have been fitted with wired smoke detectors. Smoke detectors can be very sensitive while cooking, and precautions should be taken to prevent false alarms. In the event of a false alarm during cooking, refrain from opening the unit door. Open all windows and turn-on any fans.

The smoke detectors in your unit will not activate the building alarm. However, should smoke fill the hallways of the building, this will engage the building alarm system, and evacuation procedures must be adhered to.

The sprinkler system is designed to automatically activate should sufficient heat reach the sprinkler head. Each sprinkler head operates independently, and will activate the building fire alarm system. DO NOT touch, hang, or disturb sprinkler heads in any way to eliminate the false activation of the system.


You can find more information about emergency readiness at or FEMA.


You are responsible for obtaining renter’s insurance for your personal belongings and to protect yourself against any liability. You must obtain a renter's insurance policy with coverage for personal property and at least $100,000 liability. Please understand the insurance in place for WVU and University Apartments does not provide coverage for your personal belongings, property damage or bodily injury. If you or your guests suffer a loss due to fire, flood, vandalism, theft, or other cause of loss, WVU and University Apartments insurance will not cover these costs.

In general, renter’s insurance is not costly, and may provide substantial protection and peace of mind.

Renter’s insurance is easily available at a low cost. Most insurance providers offer policies with the following options:

  • Replacement of your belongings or compensation for their actual value
  • Additional living expenses
  • Emergency housing compensation
  • Personal liability coverage
  • Medical payments to others

If your parents or guardians have a homeowner’s insurance policy, they may be able to cover your belongings under their policy, but you should carefully weigh the advantages of an individual policy. Many policies do not cover a resident’s liability when causing damage to the property/unit.